This world map data set is extracted and customized from the Digital Chart of the World (DCW) data set and organized as a TatukGIS project. Layers are organized for each country separately, and for each state separately in the United States, Canada, Brazil, and Australia. The data for each country or state consists of six SHP format data layers. The separate data sets can be assembled by database query to be displayed together at higher level zooms. At multi-country region or country specific zoom levels, the data files associated with only that particular region or country can be called, thereby enhancing the speed.
The following customization was performed to the original DCW dataset:
- Conversion from the E00 format to the SHP format
- Data for the former USSR and Antarctica converted from other coordinate systems in the DCW dataset to WGS 1984.
- Country boarders updated to reflect geopolitical changes during the last fifteen years, e.g., the creation of countries in the Balkan region, separation of the Czech Republic and Slovakia, creation of East Timor from Indonesia, etc.
- Addition of a top view world map layer with country boarders, country and continent names, capital cities, major bodies of water, etc. created from the DCW files for each country.
- Organization of the data set as TatukGIS project (*.ttkgp project file) for ready use in TatukGIS products.
The use of this dataset is unrestricted and can be freely deployed with any TatukGIS product or application developed from the Developer Kernel component.