The DK API can be used to read/write various formats not supported directly in the DK:
- All shapes in a layer can be traversed using FindFirst()..FindNext()
- Any vertices from a shape can be accessed using GetPoint()
- A new shape can be added to a layer and then new vertices added to the shape using AddShape(0), AddPoint()
The TatukGIS DK provides a unified API to GIS objects based on:
- Each layer contains a Shape
- Each shape can be point, line, or polygonal
Upon reading any vector data format the DK converts the data to such common structure. This means, for example, when reading DXF data the splines are converted into GIS standard lines formed by vertices.